The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa and Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) are once again partnering to implement the 2022 Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) South Africa program.
In this fourth edition of the program, 110 participants will be selected to join the AWE 2022 cohort and participate in activities based in Bloemfontein, Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg, and Pretoria. This will bring the total number of South African women entrepreneurs who have received training, mentorship, and support to more than 400 since 2019.
AWE 2022 will be implemented as a hybrid program from June to September 2022 in partnership with the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa’s network of American Spaces.
AWE is an initiative of the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and supports the U.S. National Strategy on Gender Equity and Equality. AWE drives business growth and prosperity for women and communities in more than 80 countries worldwide. It is centered around DreamBuilder, an online training platform for women’s entrepreneurship developed by Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Global Management in partnership with the global copper mining company Freeport-McMoRan.
What do you gain participating in the AWE program?
Selected candidates will receive the following benefits and more:
- A no-cost entry to the program
- Enrolment in the DreamBuilder platform and expert facilitated virtual business management training and mentorship sessions
- Networking and peer-learning opportunities with like-minded entrepreneurs
- A collaboratively developed and refined draft of your business plan
- A DreamBuilder certificate after completing the program
- Participants who graduate from the program are eligible to join the U.S. program alumni network, which provides access to a robust network of support, including follow-on business opportunities, potential seed funding, and a vast network of like-minded and highly regarded entrepreneurs across South Africa and beyond.
- Membership to the online AWIEF Community
- Free attendance at the AWIEF 2022 Hybrid Conference, September 26-27, 2022
Who Can Apply?
- Women between 21 and 35 years of age;
- Ability to read, write, speak, and listen to program in English;
- Resident of one of the five AWE South Africa Program cities: Bloemfontein, Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg, and Pretoria;
- Must either have a feasible business idea or have been in business for no more than 2 years;
- Not engaged in full-time employment, excluding self-employment;
- Ability to participate in weekly group sessions and must be able to commit 5+ hours weekly to accomplish designated program tasks; and
- Must have computer skills, access to a computer/laptop, and data to access program content and activities.
Applications are open for highly motivated and self-driven young South African women to join the AWE 2022 program. Applications will be accepted from now until April 24, 2022. THERE IS NO COST TO APPLICANTS AT ANY STAGE.
To submit your application for the AWE South Africa 2022 program, please follow this link: https://bit.ly/AWE2022application
Deadline for submission is April 24, 2022 at 11:59pm Central Africa Time (CAT).
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org